Any projects undertaken by Learning and Teaching Advisers, which require greater prominence than the normal activity logs, should be recorded and discussed in this section of the website.
This week I have mostly been 'administering' in my LTA role. As with teaching, I find there are periods where I find myself dealing more with clerical matters than with the direct support of colleagues. This is something I'm going to work really hard to improve. I need to become more 'administratively efficient' so that I can get out and get more involved more practically.
Over last week and this I have: 1. Delivered the opening APP session with my colleague Michael Brown. Michael and I attended the ACA conference in the US last July presenting research on creative pedagogy, assessment methodologies and the personalisation of learning. I'm sure the session could be improved but I hope it was well received (20 hours including preparation and delivery). 2. I've reworked the full HEA workshop schedule (including resolution of room booking alterations, booking of IT equipment and labs, and liaison with colleagues about room allocations. This included identification of one teaching session with three separate events scheduled for the same room at the same time. I had no idea the timetable system could be so counterproductive and will be following this up (ridiculously nearly a full working day). 3. I've liaised with Simon Birkett and Sue Morrison about the HEAR project and contribution to the national CRA consultation project. I'm drafting report materials to pass to CRA for incorporation with their wider research and discussion at a residential review in late November. I suspect that some meaningful sense may emerge via CRA/HEA about e-portfolios and the shifting PDP paradigm (3 hours so far). 4. I've attended meetings regarding the LEI/TEL strategies and updated contributions to the circulated LEI priorities spreadsheet (3 hours overall). 5. Attended a PMI chapter event at Canary Wharf in London to open dialogue about potential collaboration regarding the student employability agenda, professional accreditation etc. (8 hours including travel time and correspondence). 6. I've held direct discussions with two colleagues about teaching methodologies and HEA accreditation (1 hour). 7. I've organised my diary for LEI events, meetings, validation events and other activities (2 hours). 8. Reviewed my information feeds about HE, learning and teaching etc., and watched the amazing Malala Yousafzai documentary on the BBC. You still can at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03d0tfq/Panorama_Malala_Shot_for_Going_to_School/. Malala studies at a school in Birmingham where my wife teaches. I have never encountered a more impressive person (free time). 9. All the other stuff (emails, transport, casual conversation, interaction).
I've spent more time updating the teaching observation forms following union consultation (2 hours), completed further LTA correspondence (1 hour), and submitted impact statements for REF submission. The later work overlaps considerably with the pedagogic role of LEI but is centred on learning and teaching activities and research projects (6 hours).
I realise I've neglected this element for a few weeks. Since my last update I've coordinated a presentation to the LEI SMT regarding e-portfolio systems, started the process of organising a wider demo session for acadenmic colleagues to take place on Nov 20th, completed and submitted a final report following the work undertaken to review the university's position regarding contact hours, and fielded a not inconsiderable number of enquiries about the revised system to support the observation of teaching.
In addition I have met with senior colleagues in ADT to organise a new approach to staff induction events and will be delivering a short introduction to LEI at the first of these on Wednesday 6th November. I have also attended a meeting with PMI (The Project Management Institute) at London's Canary Wharf and started discussions about potential for professional involvement with the university.
Finally, I have continued to undertake individual meetings with LTA colleagues and hold discussions with many regarding HEA recognition processes.
I contributed to the presentation session this afternoon on e-portfolio systems with Lawrie Peck, delivered a HEA workshop in ADT to a number of colleagues, and have been quite busy generally in the past two weeks with reviewing HEA portfolio submissions, organising and holding HEA related meetings with colleagues, and continued work on the review of e-portfolio systems and the wider employability agenda. I have also contributed to Transition project related work including national consultation documentation including meetings and background research.
I have also got 250 individual summative assignments and 125 formative assessments to coordinate and process in the next 4 weeks. I am going to be extremely stretched over the next few weeks. I have tried to invest more time in LEI recently to compensate for this...
This week I have mostly been 'administering' in my LTA role. As with teaching, I find there are periods where I find myself dealing more with clerical matters than with the direct support of colleagues. This is something I'm going to work really hard to improve. I need to become more 'administratively efficient' so that I can get out and get more involved more practically.
ReplyDeleteOver last week and this I have:
1. Delivered the opening APP session with my colleague Michael Brown. Michael and I attended the ACA conference in the US last July presenting research on creative pedagogy, assessment methodologies and the personalisation of learning. I'm sure the session could be improved but I hope it was well received (20 hours including preparation and delivery).
2. I've reworked the full HEA workshop schedule (including resolution of room booking alterations, booking of IT equipment and labs, and liaison with colleagues about room allocations. This included identification of one teaching session with three separate events scheduled for the same room at the same time. I had no idea the timetable system could be so counterproductive and will be following this up (ridiculously nearly a full working day).
3. I've liaised with Simon Birkett and Sue Morrison about the HEAR project and contribution to the national CRA consultation project. I'm drafting report materials to pass to CRA for incorporation with their wider research and discussion at a residential review in late November. I suspect that some meaningful sense may emerge via CRA/HEA about e-portfolios and the shifting PDP paradigm (3 hours so far).
4. I've attended meetings regarding the LEI/TEL strategies and updated contributions to the circulated LEI priorities spreadsheet (3 hours overall).
5. Attended a PMI chapter event at Canary Wharf in London to open dialogue about potential collaboration regarding the student employability agenda, professional accreditation etc. (8 hours including travel time and correspondence).
6. I've held direct discussions with two colleagues about teaching methodologies and HEA accreditation (1 hour).
7. I've organised my diary for LEI events, meetings, validation events and other activities (2 hours).
8. Reviewed my information feeds about HE, learning and teaching etc., and watched the amazing Malala Yousafzai documentary on the BBC. You still can at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03d0tfq/Panorama_Malala_Shot_for_Going_to_School/. Malala studies at a school in Birmingham where my wife teaches. I have never encountered a more impressive person (free time).
9. All the other stuff (emails, transport, casual conversation, interaction).
Chris
Thanks Chris - a really helpful record of LTA activity.
DeleteBest wishes,
Chris.
I've spent more time updating the teaching observation forms following union consultation (2 hours), completed further LTA correspondence (1 hour), and submitted impact statements for REF submission. The later work overlaps considerably with the pedagogic role of LEI but is centred on learning and teaching activities and research projects (6 hours).
ReplyDeleteChris
I realise I've neglected this element for a few weeks. Since my last update I've coordinated a presentation to the LEI SMT regarding e-portfolio systems, started the process of organising a wider demo session for acadenmic colleagues to take place on Nov 20th, completed and submitted a final report following the work undertaken to review the university's position regarding contact hours, and fielded a not inconsiderable number of enquiries about the revised system to support the observation of teaching.
ReplyDeleteIn addition I have met with senior colleagues in ADT to organise a new approach to staff induction events and will be delivering a short introduction to LEI at the first of these on Wednesday 6th November. I have also attended a meeting with PMI (The Project Management Institute) at London's Canary Wharf and started discussions about potential for professional involvement with the university.
Finally, I have continued to undertake individual meetings with LTA colleagues and hold discussions with many regarding HEA recognition processes.
I contributed to the presentation session this afternoon on e-portfolio systems with Lawrie Peck, delivered a HEA workshop in ADT to a number of colleagues, and have been quite busy generally in the past two weeks with reviewing HEA portfolio submissions, organising and holding HEA related meetings with colleagues, and continued work on the review of e-portfolio systems and the wider employability agenda. I have also contributed to Transition project related work including national consultation documentation including meetings and background research.
ReplyDeleteI have also got 250 individual summative assignments and 125 formative assessments to coordinate and process in the next 4 weeks. I am going to be extremely stretched over the next few weeks. I have tried to invest more time in LEI recently to compensate for this...